Charlotte Estella Rexroad Wyne
North American Missing Persons Network
Charlotte Estella Rexroad Wyne

1 2
Above Images: Wyne, circa 1970

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

  • Missing Since: March 11, 1970 from Canton, Stark County, Ohio
  • Classification: Endangered Missing
  • Date Of Birth: November 24, 1935
  • Age: 34
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 112
  • Hair Color: Black, short.
  • Eye Color: Possibly Blue, Unknown
  • Race: White
  • Gender: Female
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Medium complexion,
    thin build
  • Clothing: Grey coat, pink blouse, blue skirt, blue scarf,
    brown slippers
  • AKA: Charlotte Rexroad, Charlotte Wyne
  • Case Number: 566798

  • Details of Disappearance
    Charlotte had been living at the McKinley Grand hotel on Market Avenue S, with her children. Which was in the low income part of town. She was last seen by her boyfriend of five years, Freeman "Red" Wyne, in the 400 block of East Tuscarawas Avenue, Canton Ohio on 3-11-1970 at 8:55 PM. Wynne, an auto mechanic, was the father of the two youngest children.

    Charlotte Rexroad and Wynne left that night to wash clothes. They exited room 50 together. Her four children, ages 14, 6, 5 and 4, remained behind in the hotel room. After leaving the hotel, Rexroad and Wyne altered their plans. They owned a car at the time, but it is not clear if they drove that night or walked the four blocks to Skid Row on Tuscarawas Street E. The couple stopped for drinks at either the Landmark Cafe, on the northeast corner of Cherry Avenue, or at Dee Freconna’s Factory Bar. Wyne mentioned both places during interviews later with police. From there, Wyne and Rexroad went to Benny Petsy’s Hub Cafe and pizza restaurant at 417 Tuscarawas Street. Wynne claimed that Charlotte left the Cafe without him, with an unknown couple.

    She has never been seen or heard from since, leaving behind 3 daughters and one son. Freeman Wyne returned to the McKinley Hotel alone on the night of March 11. Drunk, he created a disturbance and patrol officers arrested him on a charge of intoxication. He spent the night in the city jail, then paid a $10 fine and was released the next morning. One of Charlotte's daughers remember seeing blood on Wyne’s jeans that night. The next morning, The eldest daughter walked to the police station to report her mom missing. Three years later, police deemed the case inactive but not cleared.

    Wyne died at age 76 in 2008, at Raleigh General Hospital in Beckley, W. Va.

    Charlotte had trained as a dental technician in Bainbridge, Md., in 1955 in the Navy WAVES.

    Investigating Agency
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Canton Police Department
    (330) 489-3100

    Source Information
    Maggie Seward - Charlotte's daughter